every and any
Magnus Warker
2013-08-21 07:18:14 UTC

when should one use "every" and when should one use "every"?

For example, consider these statements:

"Every change to the infrastructure holds the risk of unexpected results."

"We should include any/every change in our considerations."

"Every organizational unit only sees a small part of the whole picture."

Thanks
Magnus
Peter
2013-08-28 02:19:18 UTC
Post by Magnus Warker
Hi,
when should one use "every" and when should one use "every"?
"Every change to the infrastructure holds the risk of unexpected results."
"We should include any/every change in our considerations."
"Every organizational unit only sees a small part of the whole picture."
Thanks Magnus
“Every” relates to specific knowns.

“Any” is a non-specific catchall.

In your examples - “every change...” suggests that there are a list of
possible changes envisaged and each one “holds the risk of unexpected
results.” This implies that some sort of evaluation has been made and
that it's not an exaggerated statement indicating that no consideration
has been given to the problem. You could phrase it as, “Every change to
the infrastructure which has been identified holds the risk of unexpected
results”.

And again, “every organizational unit...”, signifies that the
organisational units have been identified on a previous occasion and that
there is a conclusion that every unit only sees a small part of the whole
picture.

“Any” is a word which denotes a range of possibilities, some of which may
not have been identified. It is less precise and may be used where it is
intended for the listener to understand that the possibilities are very
wide indeed.

“Every” tends to be more specific, as in a list of knowns. “Any” is
broader and tends to include anything that can be possibly thought of and
those things that can't even be imagined.

“Every rise in temperature above x degrees is going to cause damage to
the environment.”
This is specific and suggests that from a set point which is “x degrees”,
every rise in the temperature is going to have a deleterious effect.

“Any rise in the temperature above x degrees is going to cause damage to
the environment”, is less specific and while it means the same as the
former sentence it is less precise but somehow more dramatic (in the mind
of a native speaker of English at least).
It would be seen as more dramatic than the former. A scientist, for
example, is more likely to use the former sentence in say a seminar. The
scientist if trying to make a point to a government body, for example, or
making a statement which is going to be publicly reported may use the
second sentence as it has a more dramatic effect on the casual listener.

I hope this makes sense, if not, just post again and I'll try to clear it
up.