Looking for *THE* awesome American English dictionary
Richard Hollenbeck
2009-03-11 04:53:31 UTC
Every dictionary publisher claims to be the best dictionary. I'm looking
for the awesome American English dictionary. I have bad suspicions about
the Oxford (even the Oxford American) dictionary since the British
abandoned the standard English language years ago. All the American
publishers, to my observation. claim to be Webster somethingorother. Which
is the most authoritative? New World? American Heritage? Etc. I've been
relying on wikis recently but I have no faith in any publication.

One thing I would like to see is an emphasis on the etymology of words
(http://www.etymonline.com/). Where can I find a book like that? I imagine
a book about regular three-ring binder size in height and width, but about
six to ten inches deep. More important than the physical dimensions is the
quality and quantity of its content.

It is impossible to to an Amazon or Google search when I don't know for what
I'm searching.

Ideas please.

It is for a birthday present (his birthday was today) for an old friend of
mine. If I can arrive at a title, I could go to one of the online
booksellers and have the book delivered to his house.

Many thanks to all. . .

Rich Hollenbeck
stan vincent