proud of versus of which we are proud
ching
2008-10-15 06:02:24 UTC
Would like help with a sentence construction as I'm unsure about the
"rule" that says prepositions should not be used to end a sentence.

We work to create a school we can all be proud of.

We work to create a school of which we can be proud.

I would go for the first sentence, but would like to hear other
perspectives on usage.

thanks,
Ching
Einde O'Callaghan
2008-10-15 06:57:58 UTC
Post by ching
Would like help with a sentence construction as I'm unsure about the
"rule" that says prepositions should not be used to end a sentence.
The "rule" was made up by pedantic grammarians in the 18th century (if I
recall corectly)
Post by ching
We work to create a school we can all be proud of.
This is acceptable modern English.
Post by ching
We work to create a school of which we can be proud.
This sounds very formal and a bit old-fashioned.
Post by ching
I would go for the first sentence, but would like to hear other
perspectives on usage.
Both sentences are grammatically correct.

Regards, Einde O'Callaghan
CAROLYN STOUT JR
2008-10-18 21:59:47 UTC
I, too, would go for the first sentence. However, to avoid the rule all
together, I'd rewrite the sentence. I'd probably write:

We work to create a school that gives us pride.

Good luck with your choice!
Carolyn
Ching
Einde O'Callaghan
2008-10-19 12:56:19 UTC
Post by CAROLYN STOUT JR
I, too, would go for the first sentence. However, to avoid the rule all
We work to create a school that gives us pride.
You manage to avoid the rule, but the resulting sentnce sounds a bit
clunky and unidiomatic.

Regards, Einde O'Callaghan
Post by CAROLYN STOUT JR
Good luck with your choice!